A few items from my armory

Post photos and videos of your airsoft guns/gear

Re: A few items from my armory

Postby Baronvonsmooch » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

For the past three years have I used the MAG 120 round midcap mags. I believe i bought them in an 8 pack or a 10 pack I cant even remember. With proper care and lube this one set of mags has lasted me all three years with only a couple failures.

As for hopup, I have been using systema hopups with madbull buckings. At the moment I am in the process of switching over to the Madbull Ultimate Hopup units for my M4 CQB SEAL and the M16A4.
2012 Systema M4 CQBR MIL/LE
2008 Systema M4A1 Max
Daytona Gun SAW Para
CA M16A4 w/ M203
CA M4 CQB SEAL
STAR L85A2
A&K M60VN
Baronvonsmooch
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Lobo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks.

While this might not be the best thread for this question, how do you maintain your midcaps?
Also known as Lawrence of Arabia
Lobo
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Baronvonsmooch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:16 am

Midcaps are truly not difficult to maintain. The trick is to treat them well so they treat you well.

Straight out of the box I use silicone lube to lube the mags several times. I first spray some lube into the feed area and load the mag to capacity which allows the lube to spread throughout the feed track inside of the mag. Then you empty the mags. I did this twice when I first opened the mags. You really only need to do this for every 10 thousand rounds or so that you fire out of your weapon.

After that you just need to take care of the mags and not mistreat them. Personally I have seen people that just beat the hell out of the mags they have. I myself in all my rigs have a drop pouch, either attached to my MOLLE or directly to a web belt like on my LBV, so that I can drop my spent mags into it. This allows me to keep track of all of my mags plus it makes my reload time that much faster.

Sure I have on occasion tossed these mags around, it happens. While at Op Bulldog we were holding a building as a forward outpost in the middle of the insurgent area which necessitated tossing out mags as they became spent to a central location in the building so that one member of my team could reload everybodies mags while we took down targets as they tried to take down out location.

On occasion the spring inside will jam but usually you can knock it forward with little to no effort, its really just a reminder that you need to relube the mags. Eventually the spring will wear out or the mag will just split due to too much pressure over time containing the bbs. Nothing lasts forever.
2008 Systema M4A1 Max
Daytona Gun SAW Para
CA M16A4 w/ M203
CA M4 CQB SEAL
STAR L85A2
A&K M60VN
Baronvonsmooch
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby AndrewMc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Baronvonsmooch wrote:Midcaps are truly not difficult to maintain. The trick is to treat them well so they treat you well.

Straight out of the box I use silicone lube to lube the mags several times. I first spray some lube into the feed area and load the mag to capacity which allows the lube to spread throughout the feed track inside of the mag. Then you empty the mags. I did this twice when I first opened the mags. You really only need to do this for every 10 thousand rounds or so that you fire out of your weapon.

After that you just need to take care of the mags and not mistreat them. Personally I have seen people that just beat the hell out of the mags they have. I myself in all my rigs have a drop pouch, either attached to my MOLLE or directly to a web belt like on my LBV, so that I can drop my spent mags into it. This allows me to keep track of all of my mags plus it makes my reload time that much faster.

Sure I have on occasion tossed these mags around, it happens. While at Op Bulldog we were holding a building as a forward outpost in the middle of the insurgent area which necessitated tossing out mags as they became spent to a central location in the building so that one member of my team could reload everybodies mags while we took down targets as they tried to take down out location.

On occasion the spring inside will jam but usually you can knock it forward with little to no effort, its really just a reminder that you need to relube the mags. Eventually the spring will wear out or the mag will just split due to too much pressure over time containing the bbs. Nothing lasts forever.

Trying not to threadjack here (love your guns, I have black rifle syndrome too) I think another important thing is to not store them long term with the springs compressed. I empty mine out before a time where I know I won't be playing for a while. It's probably more of a superstition thing, but there is a little science in there too.
Need something for airsoft? Check www.airsoftfix.com first.
Castners Cutthroats - Alaska's Finest Midcap Team

POLARSTAR M4
KWA U.S.A. SR-12
JG Bar-10
AndrewMc
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Cheese Man » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:04 pm

no, it is completely science. When a metal, especially the steel/aluminum/whatever they use is in a certain shape for any period of time, it begins to take the shape as its 'natural' shape, if you will. Try it, I can guarantee with anything that is metal that you use, if you keep it in one shape for at least a year (for things like tungsten steel more, aluminum less), it will take that shape, and it will require effort to change the shape.
I offer a range of airsmithing services, give them a try!
https://sites.google.com/site/cheesemanindustries/home

Up the Classics!
Cheese Man
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Baronvonsmooch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Yes Andrew I am a purist and truly enjoy an unaltered rifle for its simplicity on the external portions.
And your not threadjacking, good advice is good advice.
I also do unload all of my mags whenever I am done with an event.
2008 Systema M4A1 Max
Daytona Gun SAW Para
CA M16A4 w/ M203
CA M4 CQB SEAL
STAR L85A2
A&K M60VN
Baronvonsmooch
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Previous

Return to Gun PRoN