[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Airsoft Alaska • View topic - Gear inspirations

Gear inspirations

Chat about holsters, camo, boots and other airsoft gear

Re: Gear inspirations

Postby ECABoss » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

ACU all the way for me... My kit is inspired by the US Army 2nd infantry division.
Nerf is the game
Paintball is the sport
Airsoft is the experience

MagPul PTS Masada SV
WE Tech WE17
ECABoss
PFC
PFC

Postby Hippie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:14 am

My last pictures suck, and are historically inaccurate, so here's my mostly complete C 1/8 CAV, 1st Air Cavalry Division 1970-71 impression. Having money was awesome - then I spent it all on this.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why there was this big ol' fence in Cambodia, that's why I look so perplexed.

Vietnam-airsoft.com
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Hippie
E2
E2

Postby weasle8877 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 am

The fence in there to keep Nixon out ;)
Also, I dig that SKS ammo rig seems like it'd work well with a ruck. Your idea, or was that fairly common in Nam?
weasle8877
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Hippie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Captured enemy equipment, such as AK & SKS rigs were very popular with the special forces for most of the war, and line units picked up on it late during the war. There are some very cool pictures of 1st CAV Troopers rocking SKS chest rigs from about '69 onward. It's kind of a been-there-done-that sorta thing. NVA trouser belts, and SKS rifles were very popular bring-back souvenirs.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Hippie
E2
E2

Postby Baronvonsmooch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:55 am

Digging the period impression. Gotta get rid of the Bird Cage on the M16A1 though :D
2012 Systema M4 CQBR MIL/LE
2008 Systema M4A1 Max
Daytona Gun SAW Para
CA M16A4 w/ M203
CA M4 CQB SEAL
STAR L85A2
A&K M60VN
Baronvonsmooch
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Hippie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

The three prong "duckbill" flash hider saw service with early test rifles and XM16E1s which were adopted by the Army in 1965. In 1967 the XM16E1 was updated to the M16A1, and featured a new "bird cage" flash hider. By the middle of 1968 all but a few duckbill flash hiders were retracted from service, most were in the hands of Marines. The reasons for the change are simple - the duckbill flash hider snags on just about everything, and even though it is superior at hiding muzzle flash, the snagging problem was greater. Also, troops were abusing the duckbill, opening cans with it and other safety hazards. So the birdcage on my rifle is proper for 1970 - I even made sure that the birdcage on my A1 is the proper A1 birdcage, with 6 holes all the way around, not just half way around like the A2.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Hippie
E2
E2

Postby Baronvonsmooch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I stand corrected, I just always have seen the Duckbill as an iconic part of M16s used in Vietnam.
2012 Systema M4 CQBR MIL/LE
2008 Systema M4A1 Max
Daytona Gun SAW Para
CA M16A4 w/ M203
CA M4 CQB SEAL
STAR L85A2
A&K M60VN
Baronvonsmooch
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Hippie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:12 pm

No biggie - the media at the time, and even today, has butchered the Vietnam Conflict. People didn't understand it then, and they still don't understand it now. Unfortunately, Vietnam is remembered more by Hollywood myth and legend than actual facts and truths. That's why I do what I do - so people can see what it was really like, and understand the war, and those who fought in it more clearly.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Hippie
E2
E2

Previous

Return to Gear talk