7.4v Lipo vs. 9.6v NIMH

Chat about airsoft guns

7.4v Lipo vs. 9.6v NIMH

Postby ECABoss » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:18 am

So I am curious as to what the trigger response difference is between a 7.4v Lipo and a 9.6v NIMH battery? Any help?
Nerf is the game
Paintball is the sport
Airsoft is the experience

MagPul PTS Masada SV
WE Tech WE17
ECABoss
PFC
PFC

Re: 7.4v Lipo vs. 9.6v NIMH

Postby Subcaptian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Li-Po should be about the same, maybe slightly slower. But, much smaller and lightweight of course.
Gun list:
CA M249 MK1, G3-SG1
WELL L96
3 ICS M4s, 1 AK47
G&G M4
TM MP5K
KWA MP7!! :)
Subcaptian
PFC
PFC

Postby Clyde » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:04 am

Lipo batteries tend to have a discharge rate that differs from a standard NiMH flow, 15C 20C and so on.

If you tend to play semi auto and you want a nice crisp trigger pull i would go for the 7.4V 20C lipo.

Some lipos have a much higher "burst discharge rate" so it may be a 20C lipo but with burst discharge may be higher like 30C so if you can be cautious of that. I say this because i assume if you are only going to 7.4 volt you are cautious about breaking gearbox parts and that might be an issue that i figured i would warn you about.
"If Clyde wants you dead, you're dead" Law Abiding Citizen
Clyde
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby ranger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:25 pm

the motor will only draw what it needs to run at peek performance, if you are pulling a heavy spring or have a high rof then a 9.6v might not have enough enough to run the motor at its peek and a high C lipo will. as long as your wiring can handle it a 50C lipo will not do any more than a 20C if your motor only needs 15C to run at its peek. the "C" is the available power not the amount that is always given. the danger is when you have been running your motor with to little power (lets say 10C and your motor needs 15C). now yes it will still run fine but you motor is not giving out all its potential so when you hook up a 20C lipo your motor is now running at is peek and is cycling faster and with more torque than it was before. this will put more ware on your parts and can break ones that cant handle the new strain. the safest way is to hook up a voltmeter and see how much your gearbox is drawing from the 9.6 and from a 7.2 and an 11.1. as long as there is no major jump in the draw then you are safe to run it. now lets say there is a major jump, that dose not mean itself that your gearbox will tear itself apart. it just means that their is more strain on the parts and as long as you have good parts you can still run it with little worry. keep in mind though how you use it will make a huge impact on how long it will last. a lipo is like a super charger for a car, yes it will let you get more out of your car but the candle that burns twice as bright only last half as long. so if you dont run it wide open all the time it will last much longer.
-don't bother running you'll only die tired-
ranger
PFC
PFC

Postby TheMightyMoe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 pm

I am far from an expert, but generally just because the motor can take more and "max" out. Doesn't really ever mean it should be "max"ed out. A 9.6 high NiMh battery is going to give you a nice long stupid proof life relatively cheaply. Lipos are gonna give you a lot of performance.

20C 1000mah packs max constant discharge = 20 x 1000 = 20,000ma/1000 = 20amps
45C 3300mah packs max constant discharge = 45 x 3300 = 148500ma/1000 = 148.5amps

For example.
Castner's Cutthroats,
Alaska's finest.
And when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes long into you.
TheMightyMoe
Captain
Captain

Postby ranger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:42 pm

i am sorry for any confusion i may have caused. i did not mean to say maxing out the motor as that would imply that it is pulling its max load. but simply running at its peek performance. ( 1/2 throttle compared to full throttle compared to 140% maxing it out)
-don't bother running you'll only die tired-
ranger
PFC
PFC

Return to Gun talk