Deans vs. Tamiya connectors?

Chat about airsoft guns

Deans vs. Tamiya connectors?

Postby ECABoss » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 am

So really, what is the big thing about deans connectors over tamiya? Other then it boosts your ROF a little bit.
Nerf is the game
Paintball is the sport
Airsoft is the experience

MagPul PTS Masada SV
WE Tech WE17
ECABoss
PFC
PFC

Re: Deans vs. Tamiya connectors?

Postby articjackal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:52 pm

The deans plug is a low resistant plug. If you ever do any upgrade at all why would you want to keep a very crappy plug? If you run with a lipo it will help keep the wires cool. Better wire is also a big plus.
I AM A MOD, PM ME WITH ANY PROBLEMS OR COMPLAINTS

ALASKA CUTTHROATS PRO MID CAP
Strikeball for life!
www.airsoftfix.com
articjackal
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Dr. No » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm

I use deans because I find them more reliable and easier to fit into small battery compartments. The difference in resistance is pretty small, but I've heard it can be advantageous in really high ROF setups.
Dr. No
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby ECABoss » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm

So if I'm still running stock parts do you think it'd be beneficial to change my batteries to deans?
Nerf is the game
Paintball is the sport

MagPul PTS Masada SV
WE Tech WE17
ECABoss
PFC
PFC

Postby articjackal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

I would recommend it. There are a lot of people using them, including me. If your battery dies its easy to barrow one.
I AM A MOD, PM ME WITH ANY PROBLEMS OR COMPLAINTS

ALASKA CUTTHROATS PRO MID CAP
Strikeball for life!
www.airsoftfix.com
articjackal
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Kyle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Why Deans are better than Mini Tamiya:

- More solid connection that a Mini Tamiya: Over time, the female pins on Mini Tamiya plugs can start to become loose, resulting in bad connections and electrical arcing. I've seen several Mini Tamiya connectors black/smoky from this.
- Less resistance (and therefore heat) than Mini Tamiya: If you have a LiPo, even with stock parts, a Mini Tamiya plug will get quite hot if you are shooting long bursts on full auto. When AirsoftFix does a rewire, we use 16AWG wire, which is thicker than most stock wiring, and is usually what is used on most battery packs (like the ones we sell), as well as a Deans plug. This gives you the same gauge wiring through-and-through, and a low resistance plug to boot. On most guns we re-wire, you can do very long bursts on full-auto with no noticeable heat on the wiring or plug.
- Smaller footprint than a Mini Tamiya: If you are running a small stick LiPo in a buffer tube or another tight space, the cubic space occupied by the plug is less with a Deans plug. They are a little wider than Mini Tamiya plugs, but not as long, and don't have that clip sticking up adding to the space required to house the plug.
- Easier to install than Mini Tamiya plugs: With a Deans plug, you just need some heatshrink (usually included) and a soldering iron. With a Mini Tamiya plug, there are special tools to remove the pins from the bodies, and then different tools to add/remove the pins from the wire. There's a reason we talk everybody that gets a rewire at AirsoftFix into getting a Deans plug set - we don't want to remove and replace the pins for the Mini Tamiya (we actually don't even have the pin crimp tool, so we would have to do an inline connection to keep the Mini Tamiya plug). If you smash some wiring, or need to replace the wiring for any other reason, it's far easier to remove and replace a Deans plug than the Mini Tamiya.
- They are red. Red is cool :D
- We sell them at AirsoftFix, $5/pair, comes with heatshrink. :D
AirsoftFix, LLC | 700 W 41ST Ave. Suite D, Anchorage, AK 99503
1-855-AIRSOFT | http://www.airsoftfix.com | contact@airsoftfix.com
Kyle
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby ECABoss » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Kyle wrote:Why Deans are better than Mini Tamiya:

- More solid connection that a Mini Tamiya: Over time, the female pins on Mini Tamiya plugs can start to become loose, resulting in bad connections and electrical arcing. I've seen several Mini Tamiya connectors black/smoky from this.
- Less resistance (and therefore heat) than Mini Tamiya: If you have a LiPo, even with stock parts, a Mini Tamiya plug will get quite hot if you are shooting long bursts on full auto. When AirsoftFix does a rewire, we use 16AWG wire, which is thicker than most stock wiring, and is usually what is used on most battery packs (like the ones we sell), as well as a Deans plug. This gives you the same gauge wiring through-and-through, and a low resistance plug to boot. On most guns we re-wire, you can do very long bursts on full-auto with no noticeable heat on the wiring or plug.
- Smaller footprint than a Mini Tamiya: If you are running a small stick LiPo in a buffer tube or another tight space, the cubic space occupied by the plug is less with a Deans plug. They are a little wider than Mini Tamiya plugs, but not as long, and don't have that clip sticking up adding to the space required to house the plug.
- Easier to install than Mini Tamiya plugs: With a Deans plug, you just need some heatshrink (usually included) and a soldering iron. With a Mini Tamiya plug, there are special tools to remove the pins from the bodies, and then different tools to add/remove the pins from the wire. There's a reason we talk everybody that gets a rewire at AirsoftFix into getting a Deans plug set - we don't want to remove and replace the pins for the Mini Tamiya (we actually don't even have the pin crimp tool, so we would have to do an inline connection to keep the Mini Tamiya plug). If you smash some wiring, or need to replace the wiring for any other reason, it's far easier to remove and replace a Deans plug than the Mini Tamiya.
- They are red. Red is cool :D
- We sell them at AirsoftFix, $5/pair, comes with heatshrink. :D

Wow! and how much does it boost your ROF?
Nerf is the game
Paintball is the sport

MagPul PTS Masada SV
WE Tech WE17
ECABoss
PFC
PFC

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 am

ECABoss wrote:Wow! and how much does it boost your ROF?

It's negligible, but on paper/in theory it should give you a very slight boost. I usually recommend them based on the longevity/durability of the plugs and lower heat/less chance of things going melty with a LiPo battery.
AirsoftFix, LLC | 700 W 41ST Ave. Suite D, Anchorage, AK 99503
1-855-AIRSOFT | http://www.airsoftfix.com | contact@airsoftfix.com
Kyle
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Gun talk