Airsoft Guns - Which one is right for you?

Q&A about playing in Alaska, where to go, what to wear, what to buy, etc.

Airsoft Guns - Which one is right for you?

Postby AndrewMc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:04 pm

So, you've decided to play airsoft here with us at AA, and you need yourself a gun, but you're not sure which one really screams: (insert your name here).

One of the coolest things about airsoft is that there are replicas of almost any modern gun you can imagine. Like the looks of an AK? They have them. Like the functionality of an M4? They definitely have them. There are SO many things you need to consider before buying a gun, but here are the things that are most important.

1. What fits your body?
I'll start off with one of the most important and straight forward parts of your decision. The simple fact of the matter is, if you are a small guy (or girl), you WILL at some point regret buying that A&K M60.
AEG_AK_M60VN_lg.jpg
AEG_AK_M60VN_lg.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 8320 times

Now I love that gun. It's just awesome. But good lord, 16 pounds before a battery and 4000 bbs?!?!?!? Fact is, if you want to run up the ridge, and you're not a professional swimmer, you might as well surrender before you pass out. Even further, if you're small, you won't be having fun 2 hours into the day after lugging that thing around. This doesn't just go for support guns though, you can make an assault rifle into a 15 pound paper weight pretty easily too, and like I said I LOVE THAT GUN, but it's important to honestly consider your limits before you commit.

2: Parts accessibility
This is SO MUCH BIGGER than most newcomers realize. Want to see something neat? Here, this is cool:
AEG_MP007_lg2.jpg

Sweet!!!! An MP-40!!! The Nazis totally had those, and people will think I'm awesome AND a Nazi if I get one!!! <---------You
Well sure, maybe. At least until you run out of ammo and get pwned because you can't buy magazines for it. Evike sells the gun but not the magazines, and if they did, they would probably only be high-caps, and set you back about $40 each, just because they can. I ran into this problem with my Echo 1 SR-25. It was awesome, except that the only magazines available when I bought it were either $45 high caps or $65 C-mags. Now they have mid caps available, but still, remember that when something new comes out, it takes a while for the rest of the world to catch up and start making after market parts (but the world will never catch up to WWII replicas). Also think about how much fun it would be to have to buy a new stock for that after the original one broke! (It would not be fun)

3. Aftermarket Accessibility
You know what is really cool but absolute crap for adding stuff onto?
The FN FAL:
AEG_KA_AG_03_lg.jpg

I almost bought this. I was so close. I had my credit card in my hand. Seriously one of my favorite airsoft guns to date.
But uh.... Where to I put my flashlight...? Or my eotech...? Or my bipod.....? OR ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?
You don't. That's the answer to those questions. The FAL is for a certain breed of airsofters (Tyler) that don't need all that tomfoolery. But the problem is, most people like tomfoolery. It's fun to buy useless just for your gun just because you have an extra 2 inches of rail space
YO-AIRSOFT-ALASKA-I-heard-you-like-rails-so-we-put-rails-on-your-rails-so-you-could-have-6-M203s.jpg

So if you plan on having a flashlight mounted to your peq-2 box mounted to your grenade launcher, make sure your new best friend has rails SOMEWHERE.

4. I CAN HAZ SNYPER RIFFLE?!?!?!?!?!!?
Yes, you can haz snyper riffle my grammatically inferior reader.
All you're years of pwning n00bs at battlefield from miles away will pay off when you make that first 200 yard headshot with your brand new L96:
Sniper_UTG_Type96_lg.jpg

Yes I KNOW that was totally the one you were going to buy.

But before you drop your cash, remember: Sniping is a cold hearted b*tch with a 9 inch strap-on.
Sniping can be oh-so-satisfying, but usually it is just game after game of boring disappointment. If you're not willing to drop serious
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1258 (SERIOUS)
cash on a sniper rifle, you WILL be outgunned by almost everyone with AEGs. Snipers are cool and all, but you need to realize that they really don't have that much range until you put a lot of money into them, and even then you'll still find people nailing you with stupid P90s like mine that have more range than you do.

5. Workability/compatibility
Airsoft guns break. Yours will break, mine will break, Moe's will break eventually. When your gun breaks, you will be very glad you don't have a SIG. SIG's are neat and all, but very notorious for their ridiculously hard maintenance. This also goes for other guns, but I don't want to say which ones because I know someone will be all up in my grill about how easy they really are to work on.
Also, when your gun breaks, how easy will parts be to find? As a general rule, M4s/M16s are the easiest to find parts for, with AKs, G36s, and Mp5s and M14s following. These are the 5 most common guns, and will be the easiest to find parts for.

6. Battery storage
This is a quick one, but make sure to check if your gun has a good place to store the type of battery you want to use. I've learned from experience that a Magpul PRS stock is awesome, but it's awesomeness is quickly depleted when you have to duct tape a battery to it. As another general rule, guns wired to the rear with full stocks hold the biggest batteries, while guns wired to the front without peq boxes hold the smallest. Also, if you want to use a li-po, remember that they are much smaller than other batteries, and can fit into tighter spots.

7. GET WHAT YOUR HEART TELLS YOU
No matter what I say, you're going to get what you want, and you should. If there is a gun that you picked up in Call of Duty that made you cry tears of joy, go get it! Just take what I wrote in stride, look for these aspects in whatever airsoft gun you end up getting, and you'll have a good time.

And remember, KYLE DOES SPECIAL ORDERS!!!!
AndrewMc
Need something for airsoft? Check www.airsoftfix.com first.
Castners Cutthroats - Alaska's Finest Midcap Team

POLARSTAR M4
KWA U.S.A. SR-12
JG Bar-10
AndrewMc
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Airsoft Guns - Which one is right for you?

Postby roehoe72 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 pm

My kwa will NEVER break! Good write up. Did you use the money Kyle is paying you to pay whats-his-rapper name? Also you should add this: being good on a video game doesn't make you a sniper, nor does a ghillie suit and a bolt action rifle, skill does. I can see our lil Andrew is growing up... :lol:
"If I were an alien, I'd want to visit Alaska too. Just like a tourist in a motor home." - Erin Jones
CASTNER'S CUTTHROATS
ALASKA'S FINEST
roehoe72
Captain
Captain

Postby AndrewMc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Kyles not paying me.... Yet.... But I figure for the awesome sale he had I need to repay him somehow. :mrgreen:

POLARSTAR M4
KWA U.S.A. SR-12
JG Bar-10
AndrewMc
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Shelegelah » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:00 am

My favorite FAQ to date! I'm glad you threw that last part in there, that's the most important part about airsoft in my opinion.

Kudos!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We do not allow our enemies to have guns, why allow them to have ideas?"
-Joseph Stalin

Joint Leader of Team F.I.S.O.R.
Shelegelah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby weasle8877 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:21 am

Good write up. I get what you're saying about parts accessability, but the MP40 is a bad example. There are a lot of basic parts (mag, stock, body pannels, ect.) avalible for the MP40 at good price. It's still definatly a niche gun though, and it really doesn't make sense to one buy unless your doing a WWII impression.
weasle8877
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby GoodasDead » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:36 am

I'm honored to have the (SERIOUS) sniper rifle worth mentioning!
Great guide, I've been planning on making a SniperFAQ, but this really covers all the basics.

I believe this thread needsss
- A brand guide, nothing amazing, just something along the lines of.. Dboys<JG<CA<G&P
-and mention that research is your friend!
If you have any Sniper Rifle questions, PM me.
GoodasDead
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby LieutenantKD » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:03 am

Well honestly if you want a gun that you can easily get magazines for, get a M4 or M16.
If you want rails, make sure you buy a gun with rails, once again an M4 or M16 is still a good bet.
Why might an M4 or M16 be good-
-buy em' cheap or expensive
-easily find and buy mags
-everyone uses em'; in other words you can sometimes find people who will let you borrow a mag in a match
-they are usually selective fire
-they tend to be good;short-long range weapons
-they usually come with rails "up the butt"
-they are usually accurate
-they usually have sling/bayonet mounts

Most of these are not always true, but they are usually true-in this case who makes em', and whether or not they are "high-quality.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter!
LieutenantKD
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby AndrewMc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:53 pm

MEGANECROPOST.

Since we have a lot of newcomers, I figured I would get this FAQ to the top of the list. I hope you find my writings helpful and amusing.

POLARSTAR M4
KWA U.S.A. SR-12
JG Bar-10
AndrewMc
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to FAQs