Re: play at a diferent site?

Postby weasle8877 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Here's the original discussion on it: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=947
weasle8877
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby LtChad » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:19 pm

I have checked the information and every person age 18 and older needs to sign up for a RAP (Recreational Access Pass). It's free, and can be completed in about 10 minutes online here:
https://usartrak.isportsman.net/ascis/u ... ation.aspx
Then, you check in at the same website (or by phone) and then we go in and play.
I will be calling the Outdoor Recreation office on Monday about use of the facilities that are located in the recreational areas. I don't foresee any issues with their use including Charley Battery (the area shown in the photos from the original thread) and even Firebird Assault Strip and maybe even, dare I say it... Grizzly Battle Course.
Anyway. We shall see on Monday, Tuesday latest, and we can get rolling on the game for 9/7.
-LtChad
LtChad
PFC
PFC

Postby Controlled01 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:22 pm

I am stoked! Will be there
Controlled01
E2
E2

Postby weasle8877 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:28 pm

I assume the assault strip is that dirt runway out there, but whats the Grizzly battle course?
weasle8877
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby LtChad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

All military training sites inside the Recreational Access Areas are off limits to recreational access, abandoned or not:
"FORT WAINWRIGHT OFF-LIMITS/CLOSED AREAS: Yukon Training Area (YTA)
Det 460 (AFTAC) along the east side of Transmitter Road. Driving through this area on
Beaver Creek trail is permitted at certain times of the year.
The abandoned missile sites Bravo (Quarry Road) and Charlie Battery (Johnson Road
Training sites, to include: Manchu Road Infantry Platoon Battle Course, Digital Multipurpose Training Range and Manchu Range , McMahon Trench on South Camera Road, and Grizzly Battle Course on Brigadier Road.
The Infantry Squad Battle Course on Quarry Road.
Arctic Survival Training Site on Quarry Road.
Stuart Creek Impact Area , Manchu Range Impact Area
Dyke Range in North Pole
French Creek Small Arms Impact Area
All structures throughout the training areas."

But that doesn't mean we can't go out there and use other areas.
I shall try to get some time Wednesday to go out there and scout out a good location to play.
The Outdoor Recreation department office is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays (grumble) so at the earliest we can talk to them is Thursday.
LtChad
PFC
PFC

Postby weasle8877 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 am

Hmm... there it is, can't go in the structures. And if you can't go in the structures then there' no point in going out there.
It is worth noting however that we've been visited twice by a (range safety officer? MP?) while out at the Charlie Battery Control Building. Both times they pulled up while we were in the buildings and they just asked if I had my RAP, the second time they didn't even ask to see it. I'm sure that the "stay out of the structures" rule is mostly to protect them from liability in case of injury.
weasle8877
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby LtChad » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 am

Yeah, the officers you met were probably NOT aware that the buildings and facilities were off limits, since they are inside the Recreational Access areas that are open to the public.
I talked to the MPs main office and the patrolling and use of the facilities and areas falls under their jurisdiction, and NOT under the Outdoor Recreation department. The guy I talked to said just to stay away from all of the areas designated off limits.

Guess I'll set up a time to play at Repp Road this weekend.
-LtChad

Edit:
I wonder if there's someone we could talk to about scheduling use of the abandoned facilities and if there's another waiver we could sign to be allowed use officially. I will check into this in the coming week, and I am hoping one of the military people that play with us could also look into it, since they will probably be more receptive to them.
LtChad
PFC
PFC

Previous

Return to Fairbanks